Garbage and recycling collection
Use the Residential Services Lookup to find garbage and recycling collection companies.
All trash and recyclables are collected by automated trucks that lift heavy carts with mechanical arms or lifters. When the truck is full, the driver takes the trash and recyclables to the materials collection facility for sorting and the garden cuttings to the composting facility.
See how recycling works in San Jose
All materials are collected once a week, Monday through Friday, between 6:00 am and 6:00 pm.
Collection takes place on all holidays except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day. If these holidays are Monday through Friday, the pickup will be delayed by one day for him for the rest of the week.
missed a pickup
If your trash, recycling, or yard trimmings are not picked up by 6:00 p.m., visit sanjoseca.gov/311, dial 3-1-1, or call (408) 535-3500 to Report missed collections.
If you take out the garbage and recyclable cart after collection, it will be collected on the next collection day. Learn how to dispose of excess garbage and recyclables.
Curbside set-out guidelines
Download curbside guides and diagrams
- Please put out all carts by 6:00 a.m. on collection day and the day before.
- Place the carts 2 feet apart on the street and put the wheels on the curbs.
- Do not overfill your cart. The lid must be closed completely to keep out spills and debris.
- Keep all carts 5 feet away from piles of yard trimmings, parked cars, basketball hoops, or anything else that might block the collection truck.
- To report a lost, stolen or damaged cart, please visit sanjoseca.gov/311, dial 3-1-1 or call (408) 535-3500.
Garden trimming (cart and street pile loose)
- Mow your yard by 6:00 am on collection day and the day before.
- If the garden trimming cart is full, put the excess garden trimmings on the street.
- Loose trim piles in street yards shall not exceed 5 feet by 5 feet from the curb and shall be at least 5 feet away from other piles, carts, or parked vehicles.
- If loose collection is not possible on the street (because of bike lanes, red curbs, etc.), you will be notified of alternative collection methods.
Used Motor Oil & Filter
- Oil filter bags and oil jugs should be placed on the curb next to the cart and pile.
- Contact a recycling collection company to order an oil filter bag and oil jug.
Weight limits are set by city law for the City of San Jose. Drivers are not allowed to pick up containers that exceed the weight limit.
Maximum weight limit
|32 gallon cart||100|
|64 gallon cart||175|
|96 gallon cart||250|
|extra trash bag||60|
San José Environmental Services continues to provide essential services to residents, including garbage and recycling collection, in response to COVID-19. Place all recyclable items, including cardboard, in the recycling cart or save any leftovers for next week’s collection for the safety of the driver when picking up the recyclables.
Collection of recyclables is unlimited in San Jose.
- Put excess recyclables in paper or clear plastic bags and place them on the curb near the recycling cart.
- Use bags to secure loose items that scatter or fly easily, such as torn office paper, packing peanuts, and plastic bags. Tie the bag tightly and don’t overfill the extra recyclable paper bags. Place all bags on the curb near the cart to prevent accidental spills.
- Flatten and cut the cardboard to fit comfortably inside the cart.
- If you have more cardboard than will fit in your cart, flatten it and cut it into small pieces no larger than 4 inches by 4 inches and lean it against your cart.
Place excess trash in a 32-gallon plastic trash bag with an extra trash sticker on the curb near the trash cart.
Additional trash stickers can be purchased at any San Jose library, Lucky or Safeway store, or at the Customer Service Center on the first floor of San Jose City Hall for $6.25. A portion of the sales of stickers sold in San Jose libraries support library programs. All locations accept cash, checks, and credit cards (the library is cash or check only).
You may need to order a larger trash cart if you frequently have excess trash.