We all know that fall is the perfect time for spring cleaning, but the city of High Point is reaching out to residents to help out when it’s hard to dispose of waste.
The City will host its next household hazardous waste disposal event on Saturday, November 5 at High Point’s Household Hazardous Waste Facility at 1401 E. Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive.
The city requires “proof of residence” so if you live in Pleasant Gardens we cannot help you at this time. We need his real ID, passport, two utility bills, and a current High Point Public Library Card. (That’s not true — the event’s press release didn’t elaborate on what constitutes “evidence.”)
From 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM, the facility will be open for the drop off event on Saturday, November 5th. High Point residents can drop off the following household items free of charge.
- Aerosols, Batteries, Bleach/Cleaners, Electronics, Fire Extinguishers, Furniture Polishes, Fluorescent Lights, Nail Polish/Removers
- Adhesives, gas cylinders, paints, solvents, stains/varnishes, strippers/thinners, wood and metal cleaners, wood preservatives
- Antifreeze, automotive batteries, brake fluid, cleaners/degreasers, diesel fuel, gasoline or blends, motor oils and filters, transmission fluids
- Herbicides, lighter fluids, pesticides, poisons, pool chemicals
- Tires – However, there is a limit of 4 tires per visitor.
Sadly, this event does not include the ever-popular shredding service that is sometimes offered at this type of event. However, Styrofoam can be recycled.
According to city officials, “Accepted foam includes clean egg cartons and meat trays, clean foam take-out containers and cups, packaging materials, and foam coolers.” We do not accept foam wrapping, foam peanuts.”
Also, make sure all loose Styrofoam is in the bag.
City officials will guide the vehicle to the site and unload all materials.
Disposal is for household waste only. Materials from businesses, household waste and medical waste will not be accepted.
Residents are asked to store items in the trunk of their car or the bed of their pickup truck for easy access by collectors.
Updates will be provided prior to the event. A city calendar of events can be found at www.highpointnc.gov.
High Point residents can also find a comprehensive list of common household items and their proper disposal at www.highpointnc.gov/whatdoidowith.