The 27th UNFCCC Conference of the Parties (COP27) started on 6 November and runs through 18 November in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt. Each year, scientists, activists and world leaders from around the world come together to engage in nationally represented environmental initiatives and advance global climate goals. This year, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) focused on three key issues: conserving biodiversity, building a better relationship with nature, and supporting scientific efforts to find solutions to current environmental problems. I plan to focus on.
UNESCO calls for a global change in the values and behavior of the world’s population towards nature. Many countries have pledged to set up reserves for her 30% of the planet by 2030, but UNESCO says this number is “meaningless if humans continue to destroy the remaining 70%.” claims. To address this, UNESCO will use its resources to promote training and education initiatives that ideally enable people to live in harmony with nature and minimize behavior that further harms the environment. increase.
Cultivate a better relationship with nature
UNESCO advocates training and education programs and also aims to help develop “new ways of coexisting with nature, designing more sustainable uses of biodiversity, and new models of production and consumption”. . Existing UNESCO-designated sites are typically representative examples of alternative lifestyles that are more friendly to wildlife and nature.
As the scientific arm of the United Nations, UNESCO prioritizes research and the exchange of scientific knowledge between nations to foster innovation. According to UNESCO, they will “use designated sites and programs as starting points, share solutions on sustainable use and conservation, and be drivers of change, based on scientific evidence and local values and knowledge.” I will tell young people as
UNESCO’s three-pronged approach to combating climate change ideally involves leaders and citizens adopting a greener mindset and working together to address large-scale environmental threats in accordance with the principles of open science. encourage you to do so.