The Western Balkans are a region heavily affected by climate change and pollution problems, but they are also Europe’s richest biodiversity hotspots and need to be protected for future generations.
Since its establishment, the UNEP Vienna office and the Carpathian Convention Secretariat, supported by the GEF and other donors, have undertaken a series of important projects aimed at addressing key environmental and climate challenges in the Western Balkans. have been implemented.
The event aims to present the results achieved through the most important projects that UNEP has implemented with its partners over the past few years, thereby contributing to the achievement of the goals of Agenda 2030, as well as the goals of Western countries. supports the process of approaching Balkan economy to EU standards. The main outcomes expected from this event are as follows.
- Presenting key results of GEF-funded projects implemented/ongoing in the region from 2016 to 2022
- We present the results and future goals of the first phase of the Regional ClimaProof project, funded by the Austrian Development Agency (ADA) and implemented from 2016 to 2022.
- Results achieved through the Policy Governance Mechanism entitled “Southeast Europe Pollution Platform” funded by the Italian Ministry of Ecological Transition (IMET) and implemented from 2019 to 2022, and their potential developments and future Directions for regional studies on air pollution (2019) and waste management (2022).
- To discuss the importance of regional initiatives, in particular the climate adaptation and pollution platform developed within the above projects, and the role of UNEP in supporting the Western Balkans in implementing Agenda 2030 and the Western Balkans’ Green Agenda. .In particular following the European Commission and his UNEP Policy Dialogue on Pollution (November-December 2021) and the recent finalization of UNEP’s Pillar Assessment Procedure on the Management of EU Funds..
- Discuss the potential of a World Bank programming framework aimed at promoting long-term recovery and building resilience in the region through donor support and global financing mechanisms.
Western Balkans Forum: Environmental and Climate Change Achievements and Future Challenges
- Presenting UNEP’s mandate, strategy and its portfolio in the region, along with key environmental challenges and needs
- Presentation of international cooperation, existing initiatives and future opportunities in the region
- Discuss UNEP’s role in supporting the economies of the Western Balkans in implementing the 2030 Agenda and the Western Balkans’ Green Agenda
- Present: Vienna International Center – Vienna, Conference Room CR-4 7th Building C 1st floor