Cape Coral, FL – While many people in southwest Florida have moved debris from floodwaters to curbs, others are assessing the damage.
Weeks after Hurricane Ian left waterlogged damage, medical experts are warning that mold is a serious health risk factor.
“It was so bad because the water was so dirty and smelled so bad,” said Cape Coral resident Aim. I got a lot of water. I don’t want to do that again.”
Her family cleared a flooded home near Cape Coral Parkway and Coronado. Now she’s looking for any mold that may be growing in the house.
“Yes, it’s because of the floor. It’s lifted up. It’s damp under there. And I have a little girl too. The roof is also broken and my husband put a plastic tarp on the roof to keep the water out.” I had to put up,” she said.
Health experts at the Lee County Health Department tell you to watch out for mold and act quickly. Mildew appears in a variety of colors and can appear fuzzy or velvety.
Doctors at Lee Health say children, the elderly and people with respiratory conditions such as asthma should avoid mold and avoid breathing it in.
In severe cases, infections, toxic effects, or other medical side effects may occur.
If mold grows in small areas, such as under furniture, you can treat it yourself using detergent or a commercial mold remover and sponge.
Experts warn against trying to clean mildew by mixing ammonia cleaners or acids with bleach.The mixture can cause dangerous chemical reactions.
We recommend using a home air conditioner or dehumidifier to remove all moisture from your home and prevent mold from spreading.
Finally, if you clean up mold yourself, use gloves, goggles, and at least an N-95 mask.
The damage was extensive and many homes were flooded, requiring rebuilding for many.
You may need a state-licensed contractor to clean and remove the mold left behind by the hurricane from your home, experts say.
Find tips and medical suggestions for removing mold from your home here.